Nova SBE Environmental Economics Knowledge Center (Nova2E) is a partner in a research project lead by Nova Information Management School (IMS) – ASEBIO: Assessment of Ecosystem Services, Biodiversity, and Well-Being in Portugal.
ASEBIO proposes an innovative methodology for monitoring and Valuing Ecosystem Services in mainland Portugal, based on the impacts of land cover change on those services - https://asebio.novaims.unl.pt/
Specifically, this project aims to:
- Identify key ES with stakeholders, and define a biophysical assessment methodology for ecosystem services and biodiversity in Portugal, at national and regional level (NUTS3), based on CORINE land cover cartography;
- Assess the vulnerability of ecosystem services to key threats identified by stakeholders;
- Define land cover scenarios for 2040 which translate differentiated territorial policies, and to measure the impact on ecosystem services and biodiversity to identify existing tradeoffs;
- Determine the monetary costs caused by the decrease or elimination of specific ecosystem services according to the defined scenarios;
- Determine the impact of land cover change of the defined scenarios on well-being indicators.
Under this project, Nova2E will soon recruit 2-3 graduates to work on goals 3, 4, and 5. Thus we are inviting expressions of interest to work on this project from September on.
Candidates must hold a bachelor's degree (or almost finishing it) in one of the following areas (or other related fields):
- Environmental Sciences
- Environmental Engineering
They must be fluent in both Portuguese and English and have a genuine interest in academic research.
Candidates enrolled in a master's degree or starting a master's degree by the end of 2020, will be preferred.
If you are interested in these positions, you are invited to send your CV and motivation letter explaining your background and enthusiasm to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject ASEBIO - Expression of Interest.